Additional Services
Insurance Quality
Tracking Tool
Turnaround Time

The process started out fine.I worked with Andrew in the sales department and he assured me repeatedly that they always overestimate the weight of everything so that there are no "surprises".

So imagine my *surprise* when the QA agent called to review everything with me and let me know that what I described to Andrew as 8 foot tall bookcases were entered as "small bookshelves" and a large living room armchair was a "wooden chair". End result? Added approximately 2,000 pounds to the weight estimate, which meant nearly $3,000 more. By this point, it was too late to find another company, so I said fine.

The weight is the weight and I am not trying to dispute that part of it. I am, however, disputing shady business practices and bait and switch techniques used by the sales department to get my business. I was told that I'd be contacted 2-3 business days prior to my pickup window (which was 7/2-7/6) to give me a concrete pickup date. I was contacted on 6/30 by my "coordinator" who advised that pickup would take place on 7/6.

I said that's fine, but that is the very last day of the window and we had cross-country flights booked THAT NIGHT. Also, we were moving out of a rental house and needed to be out by 7/7. On 7/5, I called to confirm that the 7/6 pickup was still on track. No one was able to reach the dispatcher or the driver, so I was told that they didn't see anything indicating issues, so it was still on track.

On 7/6, I heard nothing. I had to call 20+ times and each time NOBODY had any information or was able to reach the driver. Finally around 2pm, I was informed that there was a delay with the last pickup and that they would be there 7/7. After our flights were scheduled to leave.

Since there was clearly nothing that could be done and no way to magically produce a new truck/driver, we agreed to a 7/7 pickup. On 7/7, the same thing happened. Zero contact, nobody could reach the driver, etc. Finally the driver got in touch and said that he was delayed *AGAIN* and asked if we could push it to 7/8.

After I let him know that there was absolutely no way that would work, since we had flights and we had to vacate the house that day, he said he would be there that night. We had to leave for the airport at 8pm, but I was told that it would be okay if a friend was at the house for the pickup. The truck arrived at approximately 11:30pm and the driver immediately asked my friend if they could come back tomorrow. As stated before, we had to be out of the house that night, so the answer was no.

My friend had to leave around 1:30am, but reminded the crew multiple times that there was outdoor furniture that needed to be moved. They confirmed that they would get the outdoor furniture. When my friend went back the following morning to check, the outdoor furniture had been left. The furniture has since been disposed of by my landlord, since, as previously mentioned, we needed to vacate the house by 7/7.

Over $1,500 of outdoor furniture - adirondack chairs and foot rests, a patio table and chairs - gone. After all of this, I called my coordinator and asked to speak with a manager to discuss a discount, since this entire process had been a disaster. I was put in touch with Jim, who agreed that the move had been a "cluster" (his word) and that he would research and get back to me the following day during a specific window of time. He called back later than expected, and I was in a meeting.

Since then, I had been trying to reach him for over a week and to no available. On 7/20, I received a call from the driver stating that he would be at my house to drop off in 3 hours. No one offered any sort of resolution, so I had to ask them to wait until tomorrow. Finally heard back from Jim around 7pm that evening and after about 40 minutes of him talking over me and mainsplaining at me, still no resolution.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and what do you know... got a call first thing in the morning from Colonial in response to my complaint. She offered to take $1,000 off of the balance and when I explained that $1,000 doesn't even come close to replacing the items left behind plus the 30+ hours I've spent dealing with this sh*t storm, she became rude and hostile and told me I was welcome to find an attorney since I signed a contract with Colonial. Movers finally showed up today and while they were great and got everything unloaded quickly, they took a chunk of our professionally installed stone wall with them on their way out.

Awesome.DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Review about: Colonial Van Lines Long Distance Moving Service.

Had an Experience with Colonial Van Lines?

Comments

Terrible service. I'd never have guessed it was so difficult to locate a driver and a large truck.

It is inexcusable to miss pickup date(s). And that sounds like an awfully high cost for the weights you stated.

Last time I moved, it was cheaper to abandon (sell, donate, etc.) many things and buy new than it would have been to move them .